2021 Reach Assessments - Spelling
Students are assessed at spelling words in different contexts including:
- Applying rules and conventions.
The words assessed range from frequently-used/ common words with simple spelling patterns to less frequently-used/less common and technical words with difficult or unusual spelling patterns.
These words can be organised under four types of spelling knowledge:
- Visual: using memory of the visual features of a word
- Phonological: using sound-letter relationships
- Morphological: using parts of words to build word families
- Etymological: using word origins and derivations.