2020 REACH Assessments - Writing
Students are assessed in the following skill areas:
- Text purpose and structure
- Language choices that enhance the writing
- Syntax and grammar
Two forms of writing, narrative and persuasive, are assessed in alternating years.
For persuasive writing, the task requires students to write a text that persuades, for example:
- a review
- an advertisement
- a formal argument
- an opinion piece for a newspaper
- a campaign manifesto.
For a narrative, the task requires students to write one or two of the following aspects or stages of a narrative:
- the beginning of a narrative
- the complication or event in a narrative
- a description of a setting
- a description of a character
- the conclusion of a narrative.